Tuesday 29 April 2008

Experience in a classroom (2)

Well, after a random call to a High School (let's call it Urban High) in this fair city I call home in the south of the British Isles, I have finally organised a school visit before my PGCE interview and now am going to visit a school soon to observe an English teacher in action. This is good news, as I'm no longer having a panic attack and stressing over getting something arranged before the interview.

I wan't educated in this town, so I asked a few locals for opinions on the school. Urban High is quite a well respected school, and was told "you'll do well to visit that one." So praises for the school. I was actually looking for something with a bit more bite for my first school experience, particularly a local school with a renowned bad reputation (they were the ones who replied quite curtly). Are you mad? I hear you cry. No, but it'll give me a realistic idea of how troublesome the job could potentially be, and if I get to observe a good teacher in a troublesome environment, I simultaneously can see also how good I could aim to be as a teacher.

I'll also be returning to St Hometown High after my interview for two days. It is with excitement and feelings of intrepidation that I'll be returning there. I haven't been back since I left.

Aside, just a thought: is there a link between stress, teaching, and male baldness? I actually do have a small area of hair loss on my head, and since applying through the GTTR to get onto a PGCE course, I've noticed that it has grown a little. Maybe I'm just overly conscious of it.

No comments: